Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Fire Captain Dies From Bacteria Possibly Inhaled on Wildland Fire

This is scary as hell. From The Californian:
"MURRIETA -- Murrieta Fire Capt. Matt Moore died Monday night at UCSD Medical Center in San Diego, succumbing to complications from meningitis, fire department officials said.

Moore, 43, a 17-year veteran of the department, had been hospitalized in a coma for the last two weeks.

He had been in various hospitals since November battling an aggressive form of meningitis. It is believed Moore inhaled a parasite while fighting the region's wildfires late last year. The parasite reportedly caused swelling in his brain.

He is survived by wife, Sherry; daughter, Alyssa, 16; sons Trent and Brandon, both 13; brother, Mark Moore, who also is a captain in the city's fire department; sister, Jill; and parents Carol and Phil Moore.

The fire department will hold a procession today to bring Moore's body to England Family Mortuary in Temecula from the medical center in San Diego's Hillcrest community."

Here are more details about the case, published on Feb. 29, before his death.
The Murrieta Firefighters Association has more information about Captain Moore.

Photo courtesy of the Murrieta Firefighters Association.

No comments:

Post a Comment