In the latter category, the changes included:
- Renamed Intelligence/Information function. The function was renamed the Intelligence/Investigations function in order to clarify the difference between general and specialized information. The mission of the Intelligence/Investigations function is to ensure that all intelligence and investigative operations, functions, and activities within emergency management and incident response are properly managed, coordinated, and directed.
- Added a new section describing the Incident Complex, which is a mechanism to organize multiple incidents within a close proximity.
- Clarified the purpose of Area Command and how it fits into ICS.
- Expanded the Multiagency Coordination System (MACS) section to better define the process of Multiagency Coordination and the elements that make up the System.
- Replaced the term MAC Entities with MAC Groups. Major system elements within MACS now include Emergency Operation Centers (EOCs) and communications/dispatch centers.
- Refined the Public Information Section to more clearly discuss the processes, procedures, and systems to communicate timely, accurate, and accessible information on the incident to stakeholders.
- Expanded the Public Information Section to include a new portion on the four step process of providing information to the public and stakeholders during an incident.