.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Structure fire down the street

I had been in bed for about 5 minutes last night when the town's fire siren went off. I got up and looked out the window and saw an unmistakable glow down the street. I knew I could not get to sleep easily with a fire burning a few blocks away, so I put on some clothes and grabbed my Canon EOS 20D. When I got there, one engine was on scene, but they had not put any water on the fire yet. Eventually they had at least four engines at the fire. I heard that there were some people in the house when it started, but they all got out OK.

By the time the fire department got water on the fire, it was pretty much totally involved, at least on the side I could see.



In the photo below, firefighters have started to apply water with one line. Click on the photo to see a larger version.



Update, 1500, July 15:

I saw the house again today in the daylight. It’s a total loss. The fire burned through the roof, which partially collapsed. It looks like the only thing saved was a deck and the carport, both on the back side of the house.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

God, that all happened fast.

I'm glad they got out.

Post a Comment